Friday 30 March 2012

Pot Pie


Just experimenting. I wanted to make an alternative for my weekly Shane-ish pasty. The filling is grated/drained carrot & swede & parsnip and left over winter squash from last week. (Of course, 4 eggs and milk mixture too!) The combination isn't the best I've ever tried and I would use this combination but it was a good experience. This is going to be consumed in the next 4-6 days.
Another lesson learnt is that you are supposed to score bread dough before the 2nd rise instead of doing it just before baking it!

Sorry this post is ridiculously boring.

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of scoring bread before the 2nd rise. Where did you hear that?

    The reason we score bread just prior to putting it in the oven is because that is when the yeast is most active, and this allows room for the bread to expand even as the bread is forming it's crust. Could be why your bread turned out so doughy, it wasn't allowed room to expand properly and then the crust just made it dense and chewy. Not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you're aiming for. Personally, I prefer that texture for my sandwich bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be better because by the time I'm ready to actually bake it, the surface it too dry for the knife to cut the surface. I guess I need to take better care of it so that it doesn't get that dry! Thanks Zalbar, that totally makes sense.

      Delete