Monday 28 November 2011

Rice, turnip, cauliflower bake

Tonight's dinner.
Cup up 1 turnip in pieces. Use 4 leafs and flowers of cauliflower. Boil 420ml water and add beef stock to dissolve. Mix turnip, cauliflower and 1/3 beef stock into baking dish and out it in oven for 10 mins at around 170C. Add pudding rice into beef stock and wait 10 mins. Take out baking dish and add rest of beef stock and rice and stir so that rice is completely under the water. put 3 eggs on top with cheddar cheese. Bake in oven at 150C for 45-50 mins.

As well as making this, I made Average Betty's Stop Drop Dinner Rolls. I don't like Average Betty's videos because there's too much annoying extra bits unrelated to the recipe but this looked good.


As I was making this bread, I thought the best part of baking bread is when you punch out the gas that the yeast produces during resting time. It's like, "puff!" It's very comforting to touch the soft dough that doesn't stick to your hands. :) I love it. I wish I could be a baker or something.
I've been thinking that egg wash is a cool technique so I wanted to try for these rolls. But I'd used all the eggs for the bake above. So I experimented with fake butter, milk, and vegetable oil. None of them were a good idea. The butter was the worst. It made the dough to shrink. All the blowing up (!) was ruined and it shrunk right after I gently smeared butter. Milk had a similar effect as egg wash but making the surface shiny but this made the dough to shrink as well. Vegetable changed the texture of the surface but not much difference. Instead of adding meaningless calories, not putting anything on the surface kept the puffedupness and looks good. I'm trying to improve my "make food look good as well as taste good" skills so this experiment was a good try. I learn something every time I cook something. So fun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment