Thursday 16 December 2010

Pebble

Sometimes good children do bad things against their intention. It happened to me during my stay in London at my cousins' house when I was about 6 years old. Usually, our stay at their house would be packed with plans of places to go and things to do. We would go to museums, castles etc and have many exciting experiences. On that day, however, there was nothing planned. My mum went shopping with my aunt and my uncle was downstairs reading the newspaper. My cousin Felix was outside with his friend Martin and my other cousin Alex was with me upstairs.
Alex and I were playing Mario Cart. I was greatly absorbed by the video game because I didn't own any games at home and this was one of my rare occasions that I could play cool hi-tech (I thought it was) games. I was in deep concentration when I was distracted by a strange noise---Felix and Martin were throwing pebbles at our open window. Irritated by the distraction, I found a pebble that was thrown into the room, picked it up, and threw it back at them. I really couldn't see where the stone landed because the front garden, which was the direction I threw it, had many leafy trees. I could see the two boys' faces among the trees, looking somewhat shocked. "That serves you right" I thought, and triumphantly went back to the video game.
Less than a minute later, my uncle came stomping up the stairs and shouted "what on EARTH are you doing!?" After a horrible moment, I realized I had done something wrong. My uncle continued "the car window's broken!"
I felt my face turn white as a sheet. My uncle's car was parked on the street in front of the house and the stone I threw had hit the window and smashed it. The car couldn't be seen from upstairs because of the leafy trees. I clutched my security blanket and began to cry. I felt afraid. I was a good, sensible kid (still am) and I wasn't used to getting into trouble(still am not). I peeked from upstairs and saw my uncle who had gone downstairs. He saw me looking at him. I said in a little but audible voice, "I didn't mean to. I'm sorry." I don't remember what he said to me.

I'm now only glad that the pebble didn't hurt anyone. That would have been far worse...

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your story. I anticipated the pebble hurting someone and was relieved to read it was only the car window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    Yes it was good that i didnt hurt anyone. Still, it was a big thing to break a window!!

    ReplyDelete