Wednesday 11 August 2010

Trip to Thailand: Day 3

Woken up by my dad at 5:30 to go on the first boat to his office. He has to go on Sky Train and then go on a boat to the office.

We arrived at the office and I met his colleagues and they were all nice people. Wandee, who is one of them was supposed to take me to temples that day. I met her and she told me that, because I was wearing short pants, I might not be allowed in some of the temples. So, she was lent me trousers! She was very kind. :-)

My dad talked with his colleagues for a while and then we went out for breakfast. He took me to Starbucks and it's not just any Starbucks. According to my dad, it's the most expecting Starbucks in the world!!
It was hidden in many little shops but when I got there, I couldn't believe it!!
THIS IS STARBUCKS!?!?!?!?? It's a posh restaurant!!!!!!!!!
It was really posh. The food was not special like the place but was very nice.
We went back to the office at 9:00 and me and Wandee got on the boat to go to Wat Pho (according to Wiki, the real name of the place is "Wat Phra Chettuphon Wimon Mangkhalaram Ratchaworamahawihan" ) where the reclining Buddha reclines. I had seen the photo of it on a text book before but to look at it for real was over whelming. It was SO BIG!!



Even the feet was like 3 meters! And there were many mini Buddhas on its sole.
Beside the reclining Buddha, there were many small pots. We paid 20 baht and got coins. According to Wandee, you will have more chance to go to heaven if you put the coins one by one in the pot. It took like 5 minutes to do it all!
There were many signs that warned us of pickpockets.
After the reclining Buddha, we had a 50 minute massage. There is a school to train people to be a masseur. I had my feet massaged and Wandee had a full body massage.

Next, we went to the grand palace. What Wandee had said was true. I was glad she warned me.
We saw the Emerald Buddha. It was sitting on top of a tower thing inside this (below) building. We weren't allowed to take photos inside the building.
Everything there was glittery and shiny and cool.
Chinese culture has a lot to do with Thai culture.
This is where the Thai royal family is supposed to be living but we passed a hospital where,according to my dad, the king is being treated.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Looks like fun! I hope you had some decent curries while you were there!

    ReplyDelete